- In your stand mixer, mix butter with paddle attachment until light and creamy. (If using a hand mixer, use your standard attachments and follow the same directions.)
- With mixer on low, slowly add powdered sugar, making sure to scrape down the sides of your bowl as you go.
- Add salt, vanilla, dried pumpkin, and pumpkin spice seasoning and blend until just mixed. Add heavy cream.
- Whip on high for at least 5 minutes – you want to get a lot of air into your frosting to give it volume.
- After it’s whipped on high, mix by hand for a couple of minutes to get out larger air bubbles and ensure a silky smooth texture.
This recipe makes enough frosting to fill and ice a standard 3-layer, 8" round cake. You'll have a little bit leftover, but not quite enough for extra piping or decorating, so if you want to decorate with this frosting as well, make another half batch.
This buttercream pairs great with many different cake flavors – the possibilities are endless, but here are a few of our suggestions for maximum autumnal goodness:
- Dark Chocolate Cake
- Spice Cake
- Carrot Cake
Recipe by Laura Fitzgerald swiig's Head of Marketing.